Keeping Bed Bugs at Bay
“Good night, sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite!” is an old folk saying often recited by parents while tucking their children into bed. While the saying is often relayed in a lighthearted sing-song voice, there’s absolutely nothing amusing about bed bugs. Bed bugs are more than just nuisances. They leave itchy red welts, they’re embarrassing, and they’re expensive to exterminate. Bed bugs are notoriously difficult to get rid of, but not impossible. Preventing an infestation in the first place is ideal. There are certain steps that, while they won’t guarantee your protection against bed bugs, may at least significantly improve your chances of avoiding an infestation. Here’s what you can do:
- When you travel, leave your luggage outside the room and then perform an inspection. Carefully remove the sheets from the bed and check the mattress for bed bugs, small brown or red stains (especially around seams), shed skin or some other bed bug symptoms. If all looks clear, you may bring your luggage in the room, but store it on the bathroom floor rather than any piece of furniture or even the luggage rack. Bed bugs are good at hiding, but they don’t care much for tile floors.
- When you get back from the trip, immediately wash your clothes and any other fabrics in hot water and dry on the highest possible temperature the fabrics can withstand. Carefully read the labels if you don’t want to end up ruining your clothes.
- Place plastic protectors on your mattress and bedding.
- Never leave your coat on upholstered furniture.
- If you’re buying pre-owned furniture, inspect it carefully for signs of bed bugs before buying it. Same goes for thrift store clothing and handbags.
None of the above guarantees you will avoid an infestation, but taking steps will at least improve your chances. If you suspect it’s already too late, then you’ll need to call a professional exterminator like ANTEX to take care of the problem. Our team of exterminators follows the highest of standards to ensure your home is clean and comfortable, free from nerve-wracking pests that harm your living conditions. If you have bed bugs in your home, don’t wait – contact us today!